Monday, December 5, 2011

Super Heroes ARE real

Today, I want to tell you about my hero. He doesn't wear a cape, he can't fly, and I pray he has never worn spandex or his underwear on the outside of his clothes.

My hero is a man I call Papaw.

My hero is a SUPER hero because he is the strongest man I have ever met.

In August of 2004, I got a call from my mom saying my papaw was in the hospital. I was worried, but to me he was bullet proof so no big deal. A couple days later when she told me I should probably come home, I was beside myself with anguish. A day or so after I surprised him at the hospital we found out he had stage 4 lung cancer. I have never had my heart crushed like the day I heard those words. I can even remember praying that God would make me sick and make him better because I couldn't stand the thought of him being in any pain at all. While I still wish he never had to go through that I think it showed me just how strong of a man he is. 7 years later, my Papaw is a cancer survivor!

I am so blessed to have him in my life. There are no words that can even begin to describe how much I love my him, because a simple 'I love you' or 'You mean the world to me' will never be enough. Not only is he a wonderful grandfather, but he is an even better great grandfather and I am so thankful my boys get to experience the love he has for them.

All I have ever wanted to do is make him proud.

So how do you say "Happy Birthday" to the most wonderful man that has ever been put on earth? You write it in your awesome blog that everyone reads, duh!?

Tomorrow is my Papaw's birthday!

Happy Birthday Papaw, I love you so much! I wish I could be there to take you out to dinner and bake you a cake. Just know me and the boys (all 5 of them) will be thinking about you.



No comments:

Post a Comment